Wednesday, January 27, 2016

DIY Frankincense Extract Oil

 
 
To make your own frankincense extract oil the resin tears need to be crushed and put through a heated water soak to dissolve the water soluble compounds (See our post on Frankincense Milk). Please note that a concentrated extract oil can not be achieved without first removing the water soluble compounds.
 
Once you have heat soaked and dried your left over resin it's time to re-crush and powder it, the easiest way to powder crush any resin is to freeze it first. If you read the frankincense milk post this post picks up from that procedure of using the left over, undissolved resin gum from two heaping table spoons of resin tears. I measure two table spoons out before I crush the resin for the milk procedure, normally the left over undissolved resin will measure about and close to half of what I started with. This resin gum is easily dissolvable in most carrier oils, as with the milk/water I warm the oil on my coffee mug warmer. I measure out 1/2 cup of the carrier oil I want to use and place the powdered resin in it, the heating time varies as I continue the warming until I can see and tell that no more residue will dissolve, usually 12 to 18 hours. The left over residue normally measures out to be about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon. When I'm not planning on using the oil in a salve or cream I will not bother to strain out the residue. *Reminder: Use a disposable plastic spoon to stir the oil, the resin is very sticky!
 
 
 
Here is a link to Dan Riegler's blog and his post on making an extract, Dan is the go to man for resin knowledge! (and products!)
 
 
 
 
For Dan's Esty shop:
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I love Dan Riegler's sites. I had wondered about using a slow heat method for the oil extract. I'm grateful that you tried this! What I did last time, and it was actually completely in error, is that I combined ground frankincense and cold press olive oil in a jar, using the ratio from Dan's post, cooked it in a crock pot in water for about three hours, then put the concoction on the windowsill for about 6 weeks - I got some lines of information crossed. Interestingly though, We've been seeing some really amazing scar and skin repairing from the oil. A friend I sent the oil to started using it directly on her face and the difference after four weeks of three or four days a week of use was just incredible. She didn't use it every day because she said she has oily skin, so I've considered switching to grapeseed oil for the next time I do this, and at Dan's suggestion in some of the comments on his site, I'm going to add some Myrrh to the next batch. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was useful, as I was trying to find how to infuse or if there was a 7 power incense resin oil or spray for hoodoo.... but understand 8k not trying to make a per firmer, so no heating in a pot. I came up with anew an original

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply great, and I could assume you are an expert on this subject. Same as your blog i found another one Sohman Epoxy .Actually I was looking for the same information on internet for
    Xylene
    and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete